This elegant and easy Poached Pears with Honey Mascarpone Cream dessert looks so much more complicated than it actually is! This is a great recipe for those who do not like overly sweet desserts. Check out how I made it.
Poached Pears with Honey Mascarpone Cream
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 25-30 minutes
Poached Pears Ingredients:
3 c. Riesling or another sweet white wine
1/3 c. honey
3 whole cinnamon sticks
2 t. whole cloves
3 whole star anise
6 firm pears, peeled
dash ground cinnamon, for garnish
*Tip: The key to success with this recipe is to choose a naturally firm pear varietal, such as the red Anjou used here.*
Honey Mascarpone Cream Ingredients:
8 oz. mascarpone cheese, softened to room temperature
3 T. half & half
3 T. runny honey
2 t. pure vanilla extract
2 t. organic orange zest
1.Combine white wine, honey, cinnamon sticks, cloves, and star anise in a large skillet with high sides. Bring the mixture to a gentle simmer over medium heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until the honey is melted and the spices become fragrant approximately 5 minutes.
2. In the meantime, halve the pears and carefully remove the seeds with the tip of a potato peeler or small spoon.
3. Carefully add the pears to the simmering poaching liquid. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 20-25 minutes, or until the pears are tender. Do not overcook.
4. While the pears are poaching, place the softened mascarpone cheese and half & half in the bowl of a stand mixer and whip until light and airy. (If you don’t have a stand mixer, use a hand-held mixer to blend).
5. Add the honey, vanilla extract, and orange zest and whip until combined. Place in the fridge to chill before serving.
6. Remove pears from heat and cool slightly. Serve immediately with a spoonful of the honey mascarpone cream and a dash of cinnamon. Top with a drizzle of the poaching liquid, if desired. Enjoy!
Here are some other dessert recipes that you might like: